Do you know? India produces around 3.4 million tonnes of plastic waste each year. It’s essential to question how PWM rules are assisting us in reshaping India into the most sustainable country with a circular economy in plastic usage.
We know that the PWM rules for 2021 mainly focused on storing, transporting, dispensing, or packaging recycled plastic items; however, the PWM for 2022 focus on collecting, reusing, and reusing plastic recycling waste. The proposed amendments support the circular economy and provide stakeholders with clear directives.
Here, the extended producer responsibility refers to a producer’s responsibility for the ecologically sound management of a product till the end of its life span.
New plastics, including biodegradable, paper laminate, and metalised MLP, have been included in the EPR mandate.
The new proposed approach made calculating EPR liability simple for stakeholders. The guidelines have been changed to improve EPR implementation transparency and efficiency.
And EPR plastic packaging is part of its commitment to moving forward with the decision to eliminate single-use plastics.
What are the provisions under the new PWM rules?
- Rigid plastic packaging will be included in the plastic classification system.
- It also includes single-layer or multilayer (more than one layer with various types of plastic) flexible plastic packaging, plastic sheets, coverings made of plastic sheets, carry bags, plastic sachets, and pouches.
- It can contain multi-layered plastic packaging (at least one layer of plastic and at least one layer of material other than plastic).
- It also includes containers made of biodegradable plastics and bags made of compostable plastics.
PWM rules for plastic packaging
- The enforced requirement for a minimum level of recycling of plastic packaging waste collected under the EPR and the usage of recycled plastic material would reduce plastic use and encourage the recycling of plastic packaging waste.
- The revised guidelines mention the reuse of rigid plastic packaging material to limit the use of fresh plastic material for packaging.
Why a Centralized Online Portal?
- It would act as a central database for orders and instructions related to the 2016 Plastic Waste Management Rule’s implementation of the EPR for plastic packaging.
- By March 31, 2022, the government has also requested that the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) construct a centralized online platform to register and submit yearly returns by manufacturers, importers, brand owners, and plastic processors of plastic packaging waste.
Who is responsible for polluting the environment?
Environmental compensation will be imposed on manufacturers, importers, and brand owners that fail to meet EPR standards to protect and enhance the environment and reduce, regulate, and mitigate pollution according to EPR guidelines 2022.
Regardless of the purpose, the Polluter Pays Principle holds a person who pollutes the environment responsible for compensating for the destruction and restoring the environment to its previous state.
1. A committee appointed by the CPCB and chaired by the CPCB chairman will make recommendations to the environment ministry for implementing EPR, including changes to the Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) guidelines.
2. State Pollution Control Boards (SPCBs) or Pollution Control Committees (PCCs) have been mandated to provide an annual report to the CPCB on implementing the EPR portal by manufacturers, importers, brand owners, and plastic waste processors in their respective States/Union Territories.
What is the purpose of implementation?
- It promotes innovative discoveries in plastic alternatives, allowing businesses to avoid unsustainable plastic packaging.
- The guidelines aim to improve the circular economy of plastic packaging waste.
What are the solutions Recykal offer for EPR Fulfillment?
- Hassle-free compliance from registration to fulfillment.
- Material tracking and traceability.
- End-end traceability and updating the figures on the dashboard.
- Online documentation.
- Automated compliance, reporting.
- Statutory reporting with a click of a button.
If you are interested in detailed information, reach out to us at email@example.com or book a 30 mins demo for a clear understanding.