How do Oil prices impact PET Plastic Recycling Industry?

Impact of oil prices on recycled PET

| 3 Min read The oil prices have a direct impact on the PET Plastic Recycling Industry. But why? PET or Poly Ethylene Terephthalate is made from the by-products of crude oil/ petroleum extraction. When the prices for oil fall, there is a fall in the costs of virgin PET plastic manufacturing. This is a positive for the virgin […]

Are PET Bottle Scrap imports banned in India?

India bans PET Scrap Imports

| 3 Min read Yes, the import of PET Bottle scrap is banned in India. Once upon a time, India was one of the largest importers of PET bottle scrap, after China. India imported large volumes of PET scrap from the USA, Europe, and the Gulf countries. The booming recycling industry heavily relied on PET imports, .i.e nearly 70-80% […]

Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules 2021 (August)

Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules 2021

| 3 Min read The Ministry of Environment, Forests, and Climate Change (MOEFCC) has recently released the Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules 2021. Below is a list of amendments made to the Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016.In a brief summary: Applicability of the rules are extended to brand-owner, plastic waste processor (recycler,co-processor, etc.) as well. Definitions of items such […]

PET Bottle Scrap Regulations in India

PET Bottle Scrap Regulations

| 3 Min read PET or Poly Ethylene Terephthalate is widely used in India. With over 0.9 million tonnes of PET manufactured, 90% of the PET bottle scrap gets recycled, the remaining 10% is left unmanaged. PET bottle scrap or PET Waste related regulations are listed in the following guidelines and rules in India: Plastic Waste Management (PWM) Rules, […]

Roles of Stakeholders in EPR

Stakeholders in EPR, role of stakeholders in EPR

| 3 Min read The Role of Stakeholders in EPR is a series of blogs that will highlight the duties and benefits of each stakeholder in the ecosystem.  EPR is a powerful tool that helps regulate waste management responsibilities among the stakeholders in the system. Stakeholders in EPR & Waste Ecosystem include: National Authority Consumers Producer Responsibility Organisation (PROs) Producers, Brands, […]

6 Reasons Why Plastic Recycling in India is Important

Importance of plastic recycling in India

| 4 Min read India is a rapidly developing nation. With development comes waste generation, and India is no exception. Right from municipal solid waste, plastic waste, to automobile waste, the amount of waste is expected to be 3 times by 2025. But what is the solution to this? Reduce-Reuse-Recycle – the 3R’s have held utmost significance in economies […]

Indirect costs of Improper Plastic Waste Disposal

close up photo of plastic bottle

| 4 Min read Plastic waste disposal has various direct and indirect impacts on the social, economic, and environmental aspects. With widely spoken direct effects of improper disposal widely being spoken, very little attention is given to the ‘indirect costs’. These costs have further cascading and roll-over effects on many other systems and individuals in them. Injuries to workers […]

Recykal and HUL in Arunachal Pradesh

Team Recykal in Arunachal Pradesh

| 3 Min read Recykal’s recent partnership with Unilever in Arunachal Pradesh has reached a new scale with the collective project being shortlisted for the Prime Ministers Award 2020 in the innovative projects category. Preventing plastic waste from entering the landfills The plastic waste channeled between June 2020 to May 2021, includes MLP or Multi-Layered Plastics (Non- Recyclable), Low-Density […]

4 reasons why EPR is the solution to plastic recycling

EPR is the solution for plastic recycling

| 3 Min read EPR and Plastic Recycling? The Extended Producer Responsibility or EPR is a precursor to Plastic Recycling. In a country that produces more than 3.3 million tonnes of plastic every year, EPR is a policy tool that will help in enabling Plastic Recycling. Extended Producer Responsibility or EPR as the name suggests, is the responsibility of […]